Windom is a lively, growing city (pop. 4700), that is the county seat of Cottonwood County.
A transportation hub for the region as Windom is served by two major highways.
The city has a diverse economy including manufacturing, agriculture, hunting, medical and adult care facilities.
Windom is one of the state’s leading telecommunication centers with state-of-the-art fiber to home.
Windom’s historic courthouse square is the focal point for a variety of successful retail businesses.
By the Numbers
School Population: 1,150
- Pre K –12th grade with 30+ college credit courses
- 65000 Acres of Public Hunting Land in SW Minnesota
- One of the Top 10 Pheasant Hunting Areas in America
- Parks and places to play
- 15 parks, 5 playgrounds, outdoor pool, beach, river kayaking
- Ice/Horse/Racquetball Arena
- Skate park
- Ball fields
- Local gun club
- 2 Workout Centers
- Variety of youth and adult sports/activities
- 15 Churches
- 14 Service Clubs
- 2 Hotels
- Numerous local festival and arts events
You will need to upload the following documents during the application process – please have them ready to upload.
- Cover letter and resume
- Copy of MN Peace Officer License or copy of letter from POST Board confirming eligibility
- Copy of any applicable training certificates
- Veteran’s Preference Form AND DD214 (if applicable)
All forms must be received by: Open until filled
Full Time Police Officer Advertisement
The City of Windom is currently accepting applications for the position of a Full-Time Police Officer. Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license and be P.O.S.T. licensed or eligible to be licensed at the time of hire. A copy of the P.O.S.T. license or Eligibility letter must be received with the application. Applicants will be required to pass background, physical, and psychological evaluations. Starting salary is $31.03 per hour with option of starting at a higher rate of pay.
Application forms are available below or you can contact the Windom Police Department at 507-831-6134. The City of Windom is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
**Please use the online application form above to apply – this replaces the mail in application**
- 2023 Starting Salary – $31.03 with potential of starting at a higher rate of pay
Full Time Officer Benefits
- 8 hours of sick time earned each month
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 40-216 vacation hours per year (depending on years of service)
- Provided full initial uniform
- Yearly uniform stipend after 1st year
- City pays 75% of single and family health insurance premium
- HSA/VEBA Plans Available
- PERA Retirement Life Insurance
- Optional Dental/Vision Plans Optional Deferred Compensation
Part Time Officer Benefits
- PERA Retirement
- Drug Task Force
- Bike Patrol
- Field Training Officer
- Full Time Investigator
- School Resource Officer
- Specialized Trainers
- Evidence Management
- Community Relations
- Regional HEAT(SWAT) Team
You must be a licensed Minnesota Police Officer or eligible for Minnesota POST licensing
- Able to pass a thorough background
- Able to pass medical, physical and
- Drug Free