You are here: Home1 / Fire Department2 / Winter Tips
- Test your detectors monthly – mark it on the calendar.
- Place a detector on every level, in bedrooms, and in hallways outside bedrooms.
- Vacuum the dust off your detectors regularly.
- If you have not replaced the batteries yet, do it now!
- When guests are staying overnight, show them the escape plans.
- Wear clothes that fit tightly.
- Consider wearing an apron.
- Turn pot handles inward when cooking on the stove.
- Use timers if you must leave the kitchen.
- Use lids on pans or keep them close by.
- Unplug electric heating appliances, such as toasters, heating bases, etc.
- Keep a small fire extinguisher on hand in the kitchen area.
- Maintain a 36-inch clearance around the fireplace.
- Know the location of the gas shutoff valve.
- Clean your chimney yearly.
- Use clean dry wood.
- Make sure the damper is open and working before starting a fire.
- Maintain a 36-inch clearance in front of the fireplace.
- Keep glass doors closed or use a screen.
- Dispose of ashes in a metal container with a lid on it and remove from the home.
- Remember, ashes can remain hot for 48 hours or more.
- Maintain a 36-inch clearance around the heater.
- Make sure that the heater is placed on a stable, non-flammable surface.
- Make sure the heater is UL or FM approved.
- Make sure the cord is in good condition.
- Read all directions before using the heater.
- If it is a liquid-fuel type heater, use caution and fill it outside.
- Do not leave a heater unattended.
- Be aware of the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Candle fires accounted for 4.1 percent of all home fires.
- Forty percent of candle fires are in bedrooms.
- Extinguish all candles when leaving a room.
- Keep candles away from combustibles.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy and won’t tip over easily.
- Don’t place candles in windows.
- Keep candles away from flammable liquids and materials.
- Keep candle wicks trimmed to ¼ inch.
- Discard candles when they have burned to 2 inches from the holder.
- Avoid candles with combustible items embedded in them or “painted” candles. (Sometimes the coating can be flammable.)
- Keep candles out of reach of children and do not allow teenagers to have candles in their bedrooms.
- Keep pets away from candles.
- Careless smoking is a major contributing factor in the high number of fire fatalities.
- Dispose of ashes by placing them into a container with a lid, such as a coffee can.
- Have a smoking area in the home, preferably outside.
- Have working fire extinguishers in both the kitchen and garage area.
- Know how to use an extinguisher before a mishap.
Windom City Hall
Monday-Friday: 8am to 5pm
Windom City Hall
444 9th Street, P.O. Box 38
Windom, MN 56101-0038