Fire Pit or Fire Ring Regulations
- The fire ring cannot be bigger than three feet (3′) in diameter.
- There must be a buffer zone that is five feet (5′) in diameter outside the fire ring. This buffer zone must be composed of non-flammable materials. (Thus, it requires an area of 8 feet in diameter: Fire Ring + Buffer Zone).
- The buffer zone can be grass if mowed properly. The buffer zone cannot contain tall grass, brush, weeds, wood, or anything flammable.
- Only wood can be burned in the fire ring/fire place.
- Trash, treated wood, furniture, scrap building materials, leaves, garden waster, etc. CANNOT be burned.
- The flames cannot reach a height of more than three feet.
- The fire must be attended by an adult at all times until extinguished.
- No fires of any type are allowed during the “burning bans”.
- The fire ring can have rock around it or metal or other non-flammable materials.
- There is nothing specific required concerning a water source. However it is recommended that a garden hose be available in the area of the fire.
- Make sure that the FIRE IS COMPLETELY OUT before leaving the area of the fire. (Use water and stir the ashes repeatedly to make sure that the fire is out.)
- Can’t be closer than 8 feet to a building.
- Can’t be placed on a wooden deck.
- Could be placed on a concrete patio (with a five foot buffer so they are not closer than 8 feet to the house or any building.)
- Must be supervised by an adult at all times until the fires is extinguished.
Outdoor Fireplaces (Metal/Ceramic, etc.):
- SAME RULES AS CHIMNEAS APPLY. Adult supervision of fire at all times.
Leaves and grass clippings can be taken to the City’s compost site. Compost passes can be purchased at City Hall, 444 Ninth Street, Windom, Minnesota.
Windom City Hall
Monday-Friday: 8am to 5pm
Windom City Hall
444 9th Street, P.O. Box 38
Windom, MN 56101-0038