ABOUT THE SYSTEM:
To provide citizens with the most effective warnings possible, Windom has an outdoor warning siren system.
It is important to note this is an outdoor warning system. The sirens are not designed to be heard indoors, but rather to warn people outdoors of impending severe weather or other hazards. In order for sirens to be heard indoors throughout the City of Windom, they would need to be much louder than currently allowed by federal law or spaced far too closely together. However, if you live within a few blocks of one of these sirens, you may well hear it from indoors.
The activation of the warning sirens alerts the public to seek shelter and to turn on radio or television broadcasts for further information. Information may also be obtained directly from the National Weather Service by means of a “weather alert radio”. The National Weather Service or television and radio broadcasts will provide information specific to the type of storm and appropriate safety actions to be taken.
The warning sirens in Windom may also be used for other emergencies, including chemical spills or toxic hazards, which may require residents to take action. Once again, information pertaining to these activations will be made available through radio and television announcements to inform you concerning the actions to be taken. “All clear” announcements will be made over the television or radio, and not by means of the warning sirens.
The City is currently in the process of replacing six of the current 8 sirens with three new sirens. The remaining old sirens will be updated. The conversion should be completed within the next few weeks.
The three new sirens are located at:
- The Water Treatment Plant on 10 16th Street
- Island Park
- The Windom Area High School
- County Road 13 near the Country Club
- The intersection between County Road 26 and 6th Street
CRITERIA FOR ACTIVATION:
Windom and other Cottonwood County cities have agreed to sound the sirens for tornado warnings.
Windom City Hall
Monday-Friday: 8am to 5pm
Windom City Hall
444 9th Street, P.O. Box 38
Windom, MN 56101-0038
- Cancelled – Special Meeting Scheduled for November 22nd at 5:00 p.mNovember 22, 2022 - 9:19 am
- Windom Police Dept. Public Hearing – Unmanned Aerial System (Drone) PolicyNovember 17, 2022 - 8:49 am
- ORDINANCE NO. 195, 2ND SERIESOctober 19, 2022 - 11:12 am
- Fair Housing – Where You Live is Your ChoiceOctober 18, 2022 - 12:28 pm
- Planned Maintenance Electric OutageAugust 30, 2022 - 2:27 pm